Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Reading #3


     I benefited the most from the section “Surviving the Critique” because I find myself doing the exact opposite of what the handbook says.  I often forget to detach myself from my work in critique especially if I feel connected or sensitive about the subject material.  I’ve never thought about a critique so deeply before especially when the author questions if a critique actually changes or interferes with one’s work.  Should we not critique at all!?  On page 47 the author mentions in the section “What Is a Nude?” that content and meaning are rarely discussed which I beg to disagree with.   If we relate this to photography, there is much to discuss concerning the meaning/content of nudes.   

In my freshman year, critiques were a scary terrible concept that I would dread while now I actually enjoy hearing what people have to say.   It may have something to do with the fact that I’m making art I enjoy in my preferred medium but I think as we grow older, and become more informed and educated about our medium we can offer more critical observation during critique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment